The church is located in Old Town of Kotor from the Northern side next to the Sea Gate. The church is the most popular sightseeing of Old Kotor built in XIII century on the site of the Cathedral church. The church was built in honor of St. Mary, but since St. Ozana's relics are kept in the church, hence double name of the church.
The history of St. Mary's started in the first quarter of XIII century, specifically since 1221. The church was built on the holy place, seeing that previously Early Christian basilica of VI century used to be here. Baptistery and some fragments of church furniture were found near an ancient basilica's base. Today these findings can be seen in the sacristy on five feet below the existing bottom level.
The facade of the church is made of interleaved horizontal rows of pink and grey stone, gabled roof and dome are covered of stone tiles. A notable detail of the exterior is original molded doors with 24 hammered images depicting scenes of life in Old Kotor. The frescoes of the temple were made by Greek artists in XIV century, but just fragments were kept in the absis and Southern wall.
Found a mistake. Highlight the text and press +