In a series of medieval monasteries on Skadar Lake
, Monastery Kom
, tribal church of Crnojevic, has a special place. It was built at the foot of mountain Odrinska away from prying eyes, and differs from Balshich monasteries very much, built on the hills of the lake.
The Monastery of Kom
is a generic church of Alex and Giurgiu Crnojevic. Kom church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin
. Historical sources about erecting the church is silent, but it is assumed that it was built in the period from 1415 to 1427. It was a time of difficult foreign policy situation for the Slavic state Zeta - on one side the Ottoman Empire tread, on the other - the Republic of Venice. Therefore, all the monasteries of that period resembled a fortress in their appearance. Kom, in this sense, was not an exception - it was built on a high hill surrounded by marshland, and the protective wall with two gates was built around the monastery. Kom Monastery
was quite rich, fertile land belonged to it, on which the vineyards grew and pastures where cattle fed. For some time even the residence of Zeta Metropolitan Church situated here, after it had left the monastery Miholska Prevlaka and St Nicholas on the island Vranjina in turn.
But the rapid development of the monastery was not destined to last long - in 1478 the Turks captured the fortress Zabljak
, Ivan Crnojevic moved the capital to a new place, where in 1485 established the Cetinje Monastery
, where, he handed over all the property of the Kom Monastery. This led to a rapid abandonment of the monastery, in the XVI-XVIII centuries there were only occasional services in the local church.
In the XIX century the monastery Kom supported priests and monks from neighboring monasteries. In 1831, as a tribute to the traditions of Zeta Metropolitanate and the glorious past of the princes Crnojevic, there was ordained to the rank of Archimandrite Petar II Petrovic Njegos
.Collegiate Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
is a simple single-nave building with side chapels and a wooden narthex. It was painted in two stages - first in 1470 and then in the 80s of the XVI century. Today, this church is the only one with preserved original frescoes among the monasteries of Skadar Lake.
Since 1999, a monk, and currently the abbot, the father Chrysostom (Nesic), with God's help and grace of the Holy Mother of God, which is dedicated to the monastery and, with his efforts and help of pious people, renewing and building up part by part this great shrine.The Holy Liturgy is served in Kom monastery every day, except for the days of Lent, as provided by the Holy Fathers rules.